Child Support Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL

If you and your former partner no longer live together, one partner will likely have physical custody of the child while the other parent will have visitation rights. Often, in this case, the non-custodial parent is required to pay child support to ensure that the child’s food, shelter, health, and clothing needs are met. Child support also can be used to pay for a child’s entertainment needs, enrichment, and after school activities. If child care is required, child support can also help with this. Child support in Florida is determined based on guidelines based on the amount of money you and your former partner make. The courts use this table to determine the amount of money that will be paid to the custodial parent. Of course, in some cases, other considerations must be made. For instance, if both parents share custody of the children, child support may deviate from the guidelines. If a parent contributes to the child’s needs during time-sharing and visitation, the amounts may also be adjusted, depending on the amount of time the non-custodial parent cares for the child during the week or month. While Florida offers clear guidelines for child support, having a lawyer working on your side as you settle this question can lead to a better outcome for you and your children. King Lindsey, P.A. is a child support law firm who are devoted to helping individuals get the money and support they need to care for their children.

When it child support owed? When parents are divorced, or when parents of a child no longer live together, or when paternity has been established, the parent who is not the child’s primary caretaker may be required to pay child support. According to the Florida Department of Revenue, Florida uses specific guidelines regarding each parent’s income to determine child support amounts. When making decisions about how much one parent will be required to pay in child support, the courts consider:

  • Each parents’ income
  • The children’s expenses
  • The children’s standard of living

Parents can often see the guidelines as a starting point, or the minimum a parent will be required to pay in child support. However, other factors can sometimes increase this amount. For example, parents might decide that they need to set aside money for a child’s college education. Or, a child may have special needs that may increase his or her costs. If you have questions about how much your child might be entitled to receive in support, need help with enforcing a child support order, or have other concerns regarding child support, contact the child support lawyer at King Lindsey, P.A. today.

When to Contact a Child Support Modification Lawyer

From time to time, a parent’s circumstances may change. You lose a job or you change jobs. Florida law provides a very specific process that must be followed in order to modify a child support order.

In order to modify child support payments, you’ll need to show that there has been a significant change in your life. Income must have changed. Furthermore, you may need to show the courts that your income change was out of your hands. A parent can’t just quit his job, choose a lower paying career, and then expect to lower their child support burden. Before making any big life changes that could impact your ability to pay child support, you may want to speak to a qualified attorney. A child support order can also be modified if a child’s needs change—for example, if healthcare costs increase or if your child becomes disabled.

If you have experienced a significant change in income or financial circumstances, a child support modification may be required. Many parents find themselves in the tough situation of not being able to pay child support due to a lost job or change in job status. Alternatively, if one parent receives a raise or gets a better job, a child support modification may be required to ensure that the children receive the benefits they deserve. You’ll need to prove to the court that a significant and ongoing change in circumstances has taken place in order for a judge to approve a child support modification in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Contact King Lindsey, P.A. today to learn more about your rights. Our firm works tirelessly to ensure that your rights and the rights of your children are protected. If you have questions about modifying a child support order, contact King Lindsey, P.A., a child support lawyers Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We can review your situation and help you understand what your options are. If you are entitled to modify your child support order, we may be able to help.

How Florida Child Support is Calculated

While the courts use child support guidelines and tables, the courts are also granted some flexibility in awarding child support. Depending on the strength of a parent’s case, the courts may award more or less money per month. Usually these amounts differ about 5% above or below the state mandated guidelines.

The most important factor that will be considered when determining child support is income. Income can come from many different sources. Here are a few:

  • Wages
  • Bonuses
  • Tips
  • Worker’s Compensation
  • Unemployment benefits
  • Retirement pensions
  • Social Security benefits
  • Rental income
  • Interest, investments, etc.
  • Royalties

Based on the income of both parents, the courts will refer to the state child support guidelines to determine the amount of money in child support that should be paid. Because many factors can play a role in the final child support amount you’ll receive, it is wise to speak to a child support attorney. King Lindsey, P.A. will take the time to review all sources of income to ensure that you get the best possible outcome for your case.

Our Firm will Provide you with the Personal
Attention Your Case Deserves

CALL NOW (954) 867-6518

Follow a manual added linkLink to: Child CustodyFollow a manual added linkFollow a manual added linkFollow a manual added link


King Lindsey, P.A. is a litigation law firm serving South Florida – Broward County, Miami-Dade County, and Palm Beach County. We provide our clients with personal attention. We are committed to aggressively representing YOU and protecting YOUR rights! Any legal issue can raise many questions. You may be feeling overwhelmed and may not always know how to proceed.



  • Address

    633 South Federal Highway
    Suite 200 B
    Fort Lauderdale
    FL 33301

  • Call Today

    (954) 867-6518